I can't believe a week has gone by since the Aberaeron Show.
We had a very successful time exhibiting Cardigan and Boncath - Pat Colin and I set up quite quickly on Saturday afternoon, and on Sunday Pat and I started the operations, with excellent help from Mike who turned up soon after the opening and very happily took over operating the layouts while Pat and I took turns to wander around.
Colin came along after lunch for the afternoon session, and we were all packed up and home by six.
We all thought it was the best run that the layout had experienced in its couple of years of operating.
I didn't take too many pictures of the show, but here is the set-up on Saturday afternoon prior to opening (the hall is bare, as we were the first there!):






Also at the exhibition were the Haverfordwest boys with their Calder Bridge layout. Part of the layout incorporated a mill scene that I had built 6 years ago when I was a member of the Haverfordwest Club. Peter Francis asked me if it was possible to get the mill wheel to turn...
I brought the mill section of their layout home with me after the exhibition and gave it a go.
I removed the wheel, and attached it to a double worm drive gear box fitted to a small electric motor.
I had to butcher a part of the scene to fit the motor in, but managed to disguise the scars with an old building from the 'spares' box. Both the mill and the old building had been wired for lighting, so I hooked them up to the same supply as the wheel motor. Fitted a switch and suitable power supply, and everything worked!
This is the original mill, taken during the build 6 years ago:



and this is it now:


The wheel (which is hard to see in this shot) did turn, but when Peter got it home yesterday, it decided not to play ball! Nothing that can't be rectified though I'm sure - just needs a visit to Johnston to sort it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment